The Emperor’s New Clothes
Welcome to the future of fashion – or at least a profitable parallel universe! Even as the fashion industry has endured a pandemic era characterized by working from home in sweats, we’ve seen dramatic growth in digitized and digital-first fashion for our avatars in online dressing rooms and virtual worlds, fashion-related NFTs (authorized or otherwise), and wearable technology that opens doors to the metaverse in the form of AR and VR. Fashion consumers aren’t likely to go without tangible threads entirely, unlike the emperor in the classic tale, but the possibilities for virtual fashion are endless – as are the related intellectual property and other legal issues.
In keeping with this duality of digital and physical worlds, please join our panel of experts as we convene both online via livestream and in person before a small studio audience, in a space provided courtesy of Diane von Furstenberg in NYC. We are excited to take a step toward the return of in-person events, but please understand that symposium seating is extremely limited and available by confirmed advance reservation only. Attendees must show proof of vaccination to enter and wear masks when not eating, drinking, or speaking on the panel. The livestream of "The Emperor's New Clothes: Digital Fashion, NFTs, Cryptocurrency, and the New Intangibles" is, of course, open to all!
DATE: Friday, November 12, 2021
TIME: 9:30-10:45am EST (New York time)
PLACE: Zoom or IRL (details provided with confirmed registration)
CLE: Attorneys are eligible to receive 1.5 New York State CLE credits, professional practice, transitional and non-transitional
- Gabby Hirata, President and Chief Executive at DVF
- John Maltbie, Director of Civil Enforcement, Intellectual Property at Louis Vuitton North America
- Kristen Trad, Director, Legal & Business Affairs, A+E Networks
- Nikki Edmunds-Ekwueme, Counsel, CLO Virtual Fashion
- Robyn Williams, Co-Chair, Trademark Practice Group, Devlin Law Firm
- Emily Levy, Senior Manager, Global Partnerships, Epic Games
- Erica Carter, Counsel, Legal and Business Affairs, Epic Games
- MODERATOR: Professor Susan Scafidi, Founder & Director, Fashion Law Institute at Fordham